Milestone 1: The Call
- Who: Parents who are baptizing their child (Anytime)
- What: Parents meet with Pastor to plan the baptism, review what baptism entails, and chose sponsors
- Celebration: Shepherds entire congregation joins in January on The Baptism of our Lord Sunday for a special dinner celebrating all the children baptized that year. Families of baptized children will be honored.
Milestone 2: The Bridge
- Who: 3 year olds entering leaving the toddler class and bridging into the preschool Sunday School (Rally Day- September)
- What: Parents will bless their children as they present a Worship Bag to their child. The 3 year olds will have a special tour of the church during Sunday School to help them know this is their church.
- Parent Class: Teaching Your 3 Year Old to Worship
- Celebration: Children will receive a blessing at the 8am Traditional Service
Milestone 3: Prayer Promises
- Who: Parents and Kids in the 4 year old preschool class
- What: Teaching and training for kids and parents on how to pray. Hands on activities are planned!
- Celebration: Kids will make a Prayer Pillow and help lead the Lord’s Prayer in the 8am Traditional Service the following Sunday.
Milestone 4: The Buddy Blessing
- Who: Kindergarten Class
- What: All Kindergarten children at the end of the Sunday School year will be matched up with a child entering the preschool Great Gospel Adventure Sunday School program.
- Celebration: A special time is planned where the kids will travel with their new buddies on a tour of the church, read stories, and help decorate Church Bags for them. Buddies will receive a special blessing in the 10:45am Contemporary service.
Milestone 5: First Bible
- Who: Parents and Children in 1st Grade
- What: Teaching and training for kids and parents on how to read and understand the Bible. Memory verses and other goals will be given to the children. A special parent and child reception will happen during the Sunday School hour.
- Parent Class: Teaching Your Child and Family to have Devotions!
- Celebration: Kids will receive a Bible in the spring during a Bible Presentation at Church.
Milestone 6: Towel & Basin
- Who: Parents and Kids in 3rd Grade
- What: Teaching and training for kids and parents on the elements involved serving others and giving to God.
- Parent Class: Teaching Your Child to Serve & Give to God
- Child Class: Being Like Jesus: Washing Feet- 3rd graders will learn the lesson of Jesus washing the disicples feet and how they can serve others for Him. Students will make a basin from clay.
- Celebration: Kids will receive a towel and basin to help them remember to serve Jesus and others.
Milestone 7: Kid~2~Kid: Catechism Connection
- Who: Kids in 5th Grade
- What: 5th grade students are paired up with a confirmation student who will be their mentor as they begin to study the catechism in connection with the Old and New Testament they have been taught.
- Celebration: Kids will receive their first Catechism at the Reformation Education Hour from their new mentor. Parents are to sit with child during this celebration. 5th graders are encouraged to attend the Confirmation Celebration Dinner in support of their new mentor.
Milestone 8: Adolescent Journey
- Who: 5th Graders and their Parents
- What: A retreat experience where parents and preteens are prepared for the transition to adolescence. Teaching will be offered on how to navigate the changes, keep spiritual conversations going and capture the amazing formation opportunities that exist during the teenage years.
- Celebration: Blessing for parents and children during the church service
Milestone 9: First Communion
- Who: Students completing second year of Confirmation
- What: Students will receive their first communion at the Maunday Thursday service.
- Celebration: Parents and students will attend a special dinner the Sunday prior and receive a special gift to help them remember the special day.
Milestone 10: Confirming Faith
- Who: 8th Grade Students who have completed Confirmation Class
- What: Youth complete a three-year program learning the fundamental beliefs of our church using Luther’s Small Catechism. At the completion of the class, youth will share their confession of faith and prepare to be confirmed members of our Lutheran Church. Youth will understand that this confession was spoken for them at their baptism and now they as young adults will confirm what was spoken for them at Baptism.
- Celebration: Faith Statements will be giving on Reformation Sunday at the Education Hour and the Rite of Confirmation will happen at the 10:45am Traditional Service. The whole church will join together for a meal celebration this milestone!
- Who: 9th Grade Students
- What: TBD
Milestone 11: Enjoy the Ride
- Who: 10th Graders
- What: A special class for parents and teens that teaches the importance of responsibility in connection with preparing for adulthood. A parent and youth evening event will talk about these issues.
- Celebration: TBA
Milestone 12: The Calling
- Who: 11th or 12th Grade Students
- What: A retreat spending time thinking about their calling as Christians and use of their gifts for God’s glory.
- Celebration: TBA
Milestone 13: The Launch
- Who: 12th Grade Students
- What: Students will have a special table to decorate with memorabilia and pictures showing their faith milestone journey at Shepherd.
- Parent/Child Class: Parents will attend special session with their child.)
- Celebration: A special blanket blessing will be given to graduates during the 10:45am Contemporary service with a reception to follow!